
2:00 this afternoon it was nap time. McKenna went down as usual, Kenny was in his usual zombie state for Sunday afternoons, I was tired, and Tragan....was not. Comes down to all of us falling asleep other than Tragan. He meandered into the bathroom, climbed on the counter, and removed a box of Sudafed from the medicine cabinet. Then proceeded to consume 16 pills.
Kenny got up, and caught Tragan with the empty box. Kenny asked why he had it and his reply was that he needed medicine and knew how to get it himself. (Tragan has had strep this week and thought ANY medicine did the trick). Kenny woke me, I called poison control and their reply was to "get him to the ER right now, he could start seizing any minute".(They aren't so great at keeping people calm) We rush to the ER, and the front desk nurse calls out saying "Oh, this is him!"
They put us in a room, check his vitals, and hook him up to a cardio machine. Doctor comes in, checks him and has him drink charcoal. Yes, charcoal. It absorbs the pills so the body doesn't. 2 hours later Tragan is curled in the fetal position screaming his tummy hurts. His heart rate went from high 80's to mid 140's in a matter of minutes. The doctor came in and says "Okay, looks like we've got the symptoms occurring".
He gets the nurse to give him nausea medicine and Tragan wanted nothing to do with it. While the nurse and I are holding him down to give it to him, he vomits 4 times. Remember, he just drank 2 cups of charcoal. So it was a very gory moment. However he sure felt better after wards! 2 1/2 hours after that, when his vitals returned to normal, they released him.
So now we are home, and Tragan is off the wall. The doctor warned us he would be hyper and awake late tonight. Which I think we can handle considering we got naps.
I definitely feel like the worlds worst mom for falling asleep while my 4 year old rummaged through our medicine cupboard. I'm just glad we learn from our mistakes. But not looking forward to the next 20 some odd years to go with this boy and ER visits. What an expensive mistake!
13 comments:
Oh dear! I'm glad he is okay. Sounds like a scary day!!
Oh my gosh! What an experience you guys had! I'm so glad that he was able to throw it up and is better now. Nothing is scarier than finding your kid into something they aren't supposed to be into. Just ask Cameron and the 1/2 bottle of benadryl he drank after he unscrewed the child safety cap off...not a fun day for us either. AHHHH being a parent is so scary sometimes!
Wow! I am SO glad he is okay!!! Don't blame yourself! It could've happened while you were cleaning the bathroom or making dinner, or anything else. These kids can get into stuff faster than we think. I'm so glad he is okay!!!!
Oh my gosh! I'm so happy he's okay! Kids are so busy!
YIKES! I'm glad he's ok. What a wake up call though to remind us they're still kids!
Holy canoli! That is scary! I am glad that he is okay and that you guys caught him in the act...kinda...It would be scary to not know why he is sick. Sounds like you might need another nap with Tragan today!!
How FREAKY! I have had instances like that where I THOUGHT someone had taken something poisonous, but it was always a false alarm--good for you for being right on top of it! And poor little guy! Why do they make those Sudafed look so tasty anyway?!
My word, i was honestly sitting at the computer with my nose smashed against the screen. That story was insane! i was so scared! i'm so glad everything is ok. So are you just waiting to hear back or what? or is everything good and fine? oh man, i'm so sorry you even had to go through that scare! I hate to change the subject, but ummm, your HAIR IS SO CUTE!! I really love it, and also, your little girl is so fetching cute!!!
HOLY CRAP brit! i had no idea that had happened. i'm so glad that you guys got him in time!!! the little stinker. don't worry honey every single one of us has moments such as these. you are a fabulous mom.
That was the scariest story I ever heard. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I agree with the other moms that it's not your fault. Stuff like this happens to people all the time. It's just really scary. I'm glad you caught him and knew what he took.
hey there girly! i'm so excited to get that truck...i'm so glad that you're happy she's coming here.;D
Oh Britny that is so scary! Leave it to Tragan to pull that off! I am glad he is okay and that nothing too serious happened before you got him to the hospital. We miss you guys! We are trying to plan a visit for August and we would love to see you!
Brittney- I know I am terribly behind, but HOLY COW! What a horrible experience for you ALL to go through. I had a "worst mom in the world" experience a couple weeks ago after my little baby swallowed a penny. It was scary, tramatic and also very expensive! I am glad you are back to blogging! Strawberry days looks like it was fun!
Post a Comment